Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bats!

Headed for a Belfry Somewhere.....
We're Sure.
True Story:

When I was in the second grade, baby bats took to flight all in one day, in the classrooms and around the school (This was in Florida,  not a school building, more of a cheap motel; no hallways, just rooms that's doors opened up to the side-walk outdoors.).  Quite the stir, the fire alarm was rung and all the children exited in an orderly fashion.... 


While waiting for the class ahead of us to move along in an orderly manner, we all looked down, and there on the sidewalk was a baby bat that really couldn't fly..... The runt. 


The other seven-year-olds acted like six-year-olds and were squealing & squirming, along with our teacher: (Now get this), Mrs. Batson.  At the pinnacle of the fray I zoned out and thought of only how cute & feeble the poor little thing was.  In fiat, I swooped in to save the little creature with my hands before Chester, the one with the wooden dick and his papaw's boots, stomped it to death.  I remember the feeling that the baby was grateful to cling to another warm mammal;  I was in love again....


Mrs. Batson screamed like she had just entered the seventh level of hell........ (this was the day I learned that not all adults were as smart as I was).  Then, the only negro man at the school, the custodian, took the bat away from me after some serious convincing & a promise that the baby would be returned to me at the end of the school day....


The whole day as I thought about the reunion of my baby and me, the children cheered & the adults pondered, I didn't care, my new baby was missing me and I was worried that he was cold.  The last bell finally rang and I ran out to my mother & Mrs. Wesley, of whom, it was predetermined that she would return my baby to me.  And there with the smell of limes thick in the air, they explained to a seven-year-old Wally that Mrs. Wesley had found a belfry for my love to live in, amongst his own kind.....
I accepted it.


I still miss my baby bat 
&
That belfry thing:
So my mom's idea and words....

10 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for a story about a boy and his bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a tender heart, my dear..not like that Chester! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gams, baby bat just wanted warmth & love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, norma, there were some lovely negro women that worked in the kitchen working under the close supervision of the white women....

    Bussing didn't start till I was in the third grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay to the Wallys of the world and boo to the Chesters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. You've reminded me of something I want to post on THHoF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Hair Hoppers! Batman, I mean MJ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me I saved a bird once when I was I kid. Thought it was a sparrow until mom told me it was...

    ...a robin!

    xoxo
    Jon

    ReplyDelete